Re: How to make work dual monitors with Debian etch on an IBM x60s ThinkPad?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 14:36:18 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian etch on an IBM x60s ThinkPad
> and would like to use the laptop monitor in parallel with an external one.
>
> But whatever I try - if an external monitor is connected, the laptop
> monitor remains black...
>
> If there is anybody who could have a look on my attempts to make this work
> using the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, I would be most grateful :)
>
> Is there anything else than changing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration
> I could / should try?

[...]

> lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and
> 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML
> Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

[...]

> And here some sections from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>

> # I tried to use the following 2 "Device" sections...
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier    "Generic Video Card"
>    Driver        "vesa"
>    BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier    "Generic Video Card - Second Monitor"
>    Driver        "vesa"
>    BusID        "PCI:0:2:1"
> EndSection

I am not sure about having two "Device" sections. I have an Intel 855GM
Display Controller in my laptop and I only need one Device section to
have the two outputs. Your card should use the same driver so I would
expect that it should work similarly.

I think you should try to have only one "Device" section which specifies
the "i810" driver instead of "vesa". I also think you can comment out
the BusID line. Make sure, however, that the package
"xserver-xorg-video-i810" is installed because you need it to have
the i810 module available at all. I strongly suspect that the package is
missing on your system because otherwise the "i810" driver should have
been chosen automatically during the initial Xorg setup.

If your X starts with the "i810" configuration then you can try if the
external output works at all, either with the built-in keys of the
laptop (Fn + something; this does not work for my laptop) or by
installing the package "i810switch" which gives you commands to switch
the two outputs on and off (this should work more reliably).

If the outputs both work at the same time then you have to decide what
exactly you want. If you want the external output to show the same thing
as the internal one (e.g. for beamer presentations) then you can either
use the i810switch commands to activate and deactivate it as needed or
you can define a "Cloning" configuration in xorg.conf. If, on the other
hand, you want the two displays show different things, then you indeed
need Xinerama like in your present xorg.conf (which I snipped from this
email). I can post a working Cloning configuration and I am sure that
somebody else will have an example for a proper Xinerama setup, but
first we need to know that the "i810" driver works properly for you.
(Also, of course, "man i810" has more information on the driver and its
capabilities.)

--
Regards,
          Florian