Re: self-built kernel causing boot problems

Bob McGowan schrieb:
Roman,

For DOS fat based filesystems, you need to install a DOS tool set such as mtools or dosfstools.

The mtools includes 'mlabel' to add a DOS label to an existing device. The documentation describes how to set this up.

The dosfstools has a 'mkdosfs' command to create a DOS filesystem and it has a '-n' option to provide a 'name' (label). In either case, in /etc/fstab, you use the same LABEL=labelname and the VFAT specific mount command is smart enough to do the right thing.

Bob

Thank you very much!

I didn't know the mlabel tool and since I don't want to format the disk I couldn't find a way to see or change the label.

Note on the side though: The Label on the vfat volume is all uppercase and since the entries in fstab are case-sensitive you have to specify LABEL=FOO, not LABEL=foo for it to work. This behaviour can probably by changed by some option to read all the filenames on vfat in lowercase.

Also for mlabel to be able to access the disk one has to make an entry for the desired disk in /etc/mtools.conf like so

drive c: file="/dev/sdb1"

and then

mlabel -s c:

to display the current disk label,

mlabel -c c:"foo"

to change the label to "foo".

Thanks again, I'll be back on that eth-issue.
Cheers, Roman.