Buffer I/O error on device hdc

Hello.

I'm on Debian Etch and when I try to copy files from a DVD (which is
not scratched)
I get many errors like that in my syslog:

ATAPI device hdc:
 Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
 Unrecovered read error -- (asc=0x11, ascq=0x00)
 The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
 "28 00 00 04 fa cc 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1305392
printk: 54 messages suppressed.
logical block 326348
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326349
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326350
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326351
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326352
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326353
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326354
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326355
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326356
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 326357
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand
LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

This problem occurred to me several times before on Gentoo,
but I was never able to track down the actual reason for this..
neither the DVD nor the Writer is broken, same goes with
the IDE cable. I'm 100% sure the hardware is intact.

With Gentoo my problem was somehow solved by upgrading
udev to 090, but I'm using 103 right now, so I guess that is
not the problem. I was rather thinking of something kernel
related..

So I was hoping if anyone of you could help me track down this
problem, since it appears many have that problem, but I couldn't
find any general solutions. Some appear to be related to ide-scsi
emulation, but ide-scsi is not even in the kernel in the Etch Repos.

Thanks in advance,

Victor Nawothnig