Re: Sid upgrade: thanks Debian!

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:09:58AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> So I decided in the past to "get a package" and so on... and so on...
> and apt dutifully remembers them all: need a "smart app." that says:
> this you decided to get then but do you still need it?

Hi,

there already is such an app. The package you might want to try is
'debfoster'. I used it a while ago to get rid of some packages long
forgotten that I installed them. And personally I'd recommend to use
aptitude as package frontend after you have fostered your system.
aptitude is the prefered package manager since the sarge release.
It has an ncurses-GUI but can also be run from the command line like
you are familiar with apt-get.
It keeps track of dependency packages which were automatically
installed. Once you remove a package you don't want or need anymore it
will also remove all dependencies if no other package depends on
those.
Works like a charm for me.

Regards
Marcus