Re: Gnome sound server

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 07:49 -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> I don't really need it. I have always left the sound server off in
> gnome so as not to create problems. I'm just trying to see what can be
> done.

Sadly, it is still needed for basic sound effects in GNOME. Work is
being done to remove the dependency on esd.

> How does one use dmix, or is that used when the sound server is
> disabled?

First of all, dmix, sound servers (esd and so on) are all used if your
card can't do hardware mixing. If it can do hardware mixing, you don't
need to use any software. But you already knew this, right? :-)

I think dmix is configured by default in ALSA if your card can't do
hardware mixing, but I could be wrong.

> I'll check this also just to see what happens. Where can I find the
> gstreamer-properties setting?

That's an application, simply run gstreamer-properties from a terminal.
(Or in GNOME, System > Preferences > Multimedia Systems Selector.)

> I believe ut2004 (and probably the others) use openal. I have
> libsdl1.2debian-all installed, I think that supports esd too.

The Linux Gamers FAQ have some suggestions you could try,
http://icculus.org/lgfaq/#audio

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson