Re: Gnome sound server

On Tue, 2007-30-01 at 16:07 +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:36 +0000, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> > On 2007-01-30, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > > Whenever I turn on gnome's sound server it blocks some apps like ut2004
> > > and rhythmbox from playing sounds. Is there a better way to configure
> > > gnome's sound server?
> >
> > As far as currently ALSA supports dmix out of the box probably sound
> > servers are no longer needed and better if you don't use it.
>
> Agreed, unless you really want sound effects in GNOME applications,

I don't really need it. I have always left the sound server off in gnome
so as not to create problems. I'm just trying to see what can be done.

> dmix is the way to go.

How does one use dmix, or is that used when the sound server is
disabled?

It was suggested to me off list to install libesd-alsa0 so I did. That
replaced libesd0 and now I can turn the sound server on and rhythmbox
works when the sound server is enabled but ut200? still can't play
sounds when the sound server is turned on.

> If you still need to use esd (the GNOME sound server) make sure
> gstreamer0.10-esd is installed and output in gstreamer-properties is set
> to esd (or esound, I don't remember) or Autodetect.

I'll check this also just to see what happens. Where can I find the
gstreamer-properties setting?

> For ut2004, I'm not really sure, I'm guessing there are work arounds
> available. If it uses the systems SDL libraries, you could make sure
> libsdl1.2debian-esd is installed.

I believe ut2004 (and probably the others) use openal. I have
libsdl1.2debian-all installed, I think that supports esd too.