Re: Gnome sound server

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:36 +0000, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> On 2007-01-30, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Whenever I turn on gnome's sound server it blocks some apps like ut2004
> > and rhythmbox from playing sounds. Is there a better way to configure
> > gnome's sound server?
>
> As far as currently ALSA supports dmix out of the box probably sound
> servers are no longer needed and better if you don't use it.

Agreed, unless you really want sound effects in GNOME applications, dmix
is the way to go.

If you still need to use esd (the GNOME sound server) make sure
gstreamer0.10-esd is installed and output in gstreamer-properties is set
to esd (or esound, I don't remember) or Autodetect.

For ut2004, I'm not really sure, I'm guessing there are work arounds
available. If it uses the systems SDL libraries, you could make sure
libsdl1.2debian-esd is installed.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson