Re: Unable to use a new USB drive.

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 16:15 -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:12:07AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> > The second drive is testing out fine -- so fat.  I did a mke2fs -c -c on
> > it, and it's been checking bad blocks ever sing Friday.  First writing
> > blocks full of 0xaa, then reading them back, then repeating with -x55
> > and 0xff ... that's as far as I saw when I went to bed Saturday night.
> > I presume it went on to try 0x00 next.... It takes a long long time.
> > So far, no problems found.
>
> Yes, a long time.  Took about 40 hours.

A USB stick of Flash... they only have a FINITE number of times they can
be written to. Yes it is quite high a number, but think in 40 hours how
many times does the format write to a location during verify? Too many
times for a device like flash.

In effect, you have tremendously reduced the useful life of your device.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup