Re: Handing over boot sequence from one drive to another

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 06:04:02PM -0800, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
> [This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
> In article <7Iram-u8-31@gated-at.bofh.it>, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:54:46PM +0100, MeneM wrote:
> >> Could anyone tell me how to copy my current debian installation to a
> >> different external iomega jazz drive,
> >> and be able to boot from it in case of emergency?
[snip]

> > So what __will__ your bios boot?
> >
> > Some suggestions for testing.
> >
> > Get the hd-media kernel and initrd.gz from Etch.
>
> What's an "hd-media kernel?"  Package search doesn't see it.
>

> > Put the hd-media directory on it.
>
> What's an "hd-media directory"?  My etch install doesn't
> have that.

Sorry,

hd-media referrs to the installation media for Etch, specific to booting
the install from a hard drive or USB stick.  I suggested it because it
doesn't take long to download, the method of using them is well
documented in the installation manual, and you find out pretty quick if
what you're trying to do will work.

hd-media would be a directory in which is found a kernel and an initrd.

If you like, you can get the boot.img.gz file.  Its intended to be
zcat'd to a USB stick.  Instead, you can unzip it, then loop mount it
and copy the kernel and initrd off it.  You can also read the boot
parameters from the syslinux.cfg file.

Doug.