Re: howto for setting up an debian home network router

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 11:13:39PM +0100, Kristian Lampen wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to prepare an PC as a DSL-firewall-router for a small
> home-network, five PC (some windows, some debian). I have not found a
> suitable HOWTO or tutorial for this task.
> I use debian since five years, and know something about networking, but
> i would like to have the important things for building the DSL-router,
> in a compact form.
>
> Is there someome who can help with finding information about this?

Take it in little bits:

1.	Get the new PC working with the DSL so you can access the
	internet from it.

2.	Choose a firewall package, e.g. shorewall (or just ipmasq).

3.	Perhaps also put something like dnsmasq on it.

4.	Hook the home network to it so that it is dual-homed
	(one NIC to the DSL, one NIC to the home network switch).

5.	Ping and test.

Each  of these steps should be covered in many places:
	debian-reference
	HOWTOs
	shorewall-doc.

Good luck.