Re: Dell i600m - broadcom 4306 wifi problem in etch.

L.V.Gandhi wrote:
On 1/28/07, *Jan Schledermann* <spamtrap@schledermann.org <mailto:spamtrap@schledermann.org>> wrote:

    L.V.Gandhi wrote:

    <snip>
     > # The loopback network interface
     > auto lo
     > iface lo inet loopback
     >
     > # The primary network interface
     > allow-hotplug eth0
     > # auto eth0
     > iface eth0 inet dhcp
     > pre-up ifconfig eth0 up
     > pre-up grep -q ndiswrapper /proc/modules || modprobe ndiswrapper
     > wireless_essid "mohan"
     > wireless_key "xxxxxxxxxx"
     > wireless_mode managed
     > post-up ifmetric wlan0 5
    <snip>
     > How to get connected while booting with wireless? Why I get no eth0
     > initially? How to get eth0 intially?

    The reason why you do not get eth0 AUTOmatically, is that you have
    commented
    out the "auto eth0" statement.
    Remove the "#" in front of the "# auto eth0" and it'll happen.

I think allow-hotplug eth0 line should take care. Only either this or auto eth0 should be there. I tried was you said also. Still the problem remains the same.

If you're using Ndiswrapper and want it to be eth0 then,
1. Use Auto eth0 and delete/comment out allow-hotplug in the /etc/networking/interfaces

2. Modify the ndiswrapper entry in /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper (you do have the entry in modprobe.d right ? ) to :
alias eth0 ndiswrapper

That should get it working.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.