Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

Wackojacko wrote:
Hal Vaughan wrote:

You would have been informed that Firefox would be removed, since apt states when a package will be removed.

I have to disagree with this statement. The package firefox still exists in the apt repositories and can be installed. It is actually a transitional package that just installs iceweasel. However, upgrading firefox at the point when it was replaced by iceweasel *did not* remove firefox, it updated it to the transitional package which installed iceweasel instead.

Whilst I agree the OP was a little terse I don't think they could have known simply from the output of apt that firefox was being *replaced* by iceweasel.

This is correct. I had the exact same thing happen to me. It said that iceweasel was being installed and that firefox was being upgraded. No mention that the upgrade was actually the installation of iceweasel in replacement of firefox.

Since I was quite happy with my firefox and am rather annoyed by all of the political wranglings between Debian and Mozilla, I just purged iceweasel and installed the firefox tarball from mozilla.org.

I fully agree that a warning that this was a replacement would have been a "GOOD THING (TM)". I also agree that the OP went overboard in his vehemence. Can we now move on to other things, since we all agree on this one?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com