Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Friday 26 January 2007 19:11, Piotr Dziubinski wrote:
Answers:
Etch
apt-get

I was informed by apt-get that Iceweasel package will be installed,
but I wasn't informed that instead of Firefox and it is a problem! If
I would like to uninstall (even current version of) Firefox I would
do it myself.

You would have been informed that Firefox would be removed, since apt states when a package will be removed.

I have to disagree with this statement. The package firefox still exists in the apt repositories and can be installed. It is actually a transitional package that just installs iceweasel. However, upgrading firefox at the point when it was replaced by iceweasel *did not* remove firefox, it updated it to the transitional package which installed iceweasel instead.

Whilst I agree the OP was a little terse I don't think they could have known simply from the output of apt that firefox was being *replaced* by iceweasel.

Of course, if you kept up with almost any news source about what is going on in FOSS, or Debian specifically, you would have known to expect this. It's been discussed here before and even on the almighty fount of blabbering blather known as Slashdot, as well as many other places.

Hal

This I can't argue with :)

my 2p

Wackojacko