USB Flash Memory permissions

I am having difficulty changing the permissions for my flash memory sticks.

As I understand it, Gnome Volume Manager, invokes pmount-hal which passes back settings from hal and hal gets settings from udev. I have looked through the various udev rules files and anything to do with hal and I cannot work out how I end up with the line:

/dev/myFlash /media/usbdisk vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8 0 0

in /etc/mtab , particularly the umask=077 . Does anyone know where this value comes from and hence what to change in order to change the permissions?

John