Re: OT: memory requirements

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 16:55, Tyler wrote:
>> Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
>>
>>> Is
>>> dma enabled for the hard drive?
>> How do I check? what is this?

Ok, checked it out and dma is enabled as required.

> ok. Now if you disable X completely, do you experience any random freezes?
> Basically I am trying to figure out if your problem is hardware or software
> related.
>
> If the random freezes take place even when you are not using X, I would check
> for badblocks, bad ram.

I will try this, but I'm not sure how quickly I'll have an answer. The
only time I reproducibly get the 'freezing' is when zooming in and out
with large images in gv. This I can't do when X is not running.
Otherwise, the freezing happens very sporadically, ie. a few times a
week at most. I'll let you know if I can induce a text-only freeze.

In the meantime, how does one check for bad blocks and bad ram? I have
the pre-installed fsck running every 30th boot, and so far no errors
have ever been reported.

Thanks for your continued help!

Tyle