OT: memory requirements

Hi,

This isn't strictly a debian issue, but if anyone has good advice it will be you folks!

I'm working with some fairly large image files on my Thinkpad R60 with 512MB ram, running etch and fluxbox. On occassion the whole system freezes for a minute or more after I zoom in or out. When this happens I can usually get the mouse pointer to move, but often nothing else responds - ie. clicking on anything, fluxbox shortcuts to jump to another desktop, even c-a-F1 to get to a new terminal.

When the machine starts responding again I open top and find that xorg and gv (which I'm viewing the image in) use near 100% of my CPU when I resize the image, and xorg is using 70% of my memory. I imagine during freezes more of the memory is being used (all?).

My question is, will adding memory improve the situation? I'd been considering adding another 512 or even a gig, as the 512 I have now is the minimum recommended for use with the GRASS gis software that I'm also starting to use, and the manuals recommend more.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Tyle