Re: SMTP server

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:38:09PM +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > anecdotal support of exim....
> > >
> > > andrew@basement:~$ telnet smtpauth.earthlink.net 25
> > > Trying 207.69.189.206...
> > > Connected to smtpauth.earthlink.net.
> > > Escape character is '^]'.
> > > 220-elasmtp-spurfowl.atl.sa.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 4.34 #1 Sat, 20
> > > Jan 2007 18:17:24 -0500
> > >
> > > that's a pretty big operation using exim :)
>
> On 22.01.07 11:23, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > In that case, Earthlink's retarded postmasters need to be shot, their
> > Challenge-Response system ripped out by force, any backups containing the
> > C|R system burned and scattered, and new guys who understand spamassassin
> > and exim hired to do the job right.
>
> I've read the whole thread again, but I was unable to get this. Do I need
> some exact experience with earthlink (except reporting many spams in usenet
> 10 years ago) to get it?

Earthlink has a particularly egregious (sp?) C-R system that I think
all their subscribers default to automatically. Or in any event its
absurdly easy for them to turn it on. Thus earthlink puts out a huge
amount of C-R spam... it can be annoying.

I happen to have an earthlink email address for historic reasons and
I can tell you that it is *too* easy to screw up and destroy email
lists everywhere. I had a stupid qmail problem with one list I
subscribe to so I switched my subscription to my earthlink account
(which I rarely use and still had setup for C-R from years ago). The
result was that I splattered C-R's all over the list (probably several
hundred of them) in short order. I still cringe at the thought of it.