eGroupWare does not recognize PEAR on Etch

Hello,

I'm trying to install egroupware on etch but an having problems. When
running check_install.php through the web pages, it reports the
following in regards to PEAR:

Warning Checking PEAR is installed: False
PEAR is needed by SyncML or the iCal import+export of calendar.
PEAR::Log is needed by SyncML. You can install it by running: pear
install Log

php-pear and php4-pear are both installed, and I have installed
PEAR:Log using pear install --alldeps.

When I run the script from the command line using php
/usr/share/egroupware/setup/check_install.php. It reports that PEAR and
PEAR:Log are installed properly. Because of this, I figure that it must
have something to do with the libapache2-mod-php4 configuration. My
/etc/apache2/conf.d/egroupware contains the following line:

php_value inclue_path .:/usr/share/php

which is pointing to wear PEAR.php and the associated files are
located.

What is my problem here? Why isn't egroupware seeing PEAR?

SAJChurchey