Re: Rsync, how to include ~/.files but not ~/.dirs

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 01:52:10AM +0000, ][ wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:47:02 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>
> >> unfortunately that's not an option. I have to use it. The OP is for
> >> illustration purpose only.
> >
> > That's contradicting what you said before. You want to rsync .files, so
> > just drop the recursive option.
> >
> > If you want to transfer all non-dot directories, maybe the easiest
> > solution is to do rsync twice: once recursively without .files and once
> > non-recursively for .files.
>
> I should have said I was trying to backup the /home directory, although
> the exclude list hinted so. I was trying to cut the craps, not bring along
> a life long story, but apparently I trimmed too much. :-)
>
> Ok, fair enough. two pass is a solution. But I have to add every single
> user in my /home directory, and if there is change in account, i.e. more or
> less people, I'll be in trouble.
>
> Anyway, if that's the only solution. fine.

I haven't been following this thread so this might be useless idea, but ...
Have you considered crafting a find invocation that will build an ignore list
just before you invoke rsync? It might be possible to express your selection
requirements with find selection commands.

But maybe this has already been suggested.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net