Re: Scheduling FTP / HTTP downloads?

martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach Mark <debian-user@maas-martin.nl> [2007.01.26.1349 +0000]:
We have no started tracking (more like hunting) people down who do
those hefty downloads because while they are downloading, the rest
of the company can hardly get some work done.

You should thus implement traffic shaping:

  http://www.lartc.org/

I was hoping that there are programs/webinterfaces out there that
can take this load off of our shoulders and download things during
the night?

apt-cache search download manager

But that (=sid) does not really seem to identify a tool that will pick the right time to download something.

May be it is a non-trivial problem: at IBM Research we had AI projects to pick a time to start a job + enable it to finish in time.

What I do right now is use cron to start a script at night but that is sort of crude :-)

Hugo