Re: Modern Message Threading Techniques (Was: replying to a message in debian-user)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 12:20:59PM -0700, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:

> No, what I mean is that it's obviously *better* to use a MUA that supports
> threading,

Threading is good.  I'd go nutty(no, wait, I did that years ago anyway)
trying to follow high-volume e-mail lists without it.  Good thread handling
was one of the main things I was looking for when I switched from Pine to
Mutt several years ago.  It looks like Pine's threading capabilities have
improved since then.

> but even if you use a MUA that doesn't support threading properly, as long
> as you keep the subject line the same, most modern MUAs will still
> associate it to the thread. =)

In the case of Mutt it uses the In-Reply-To header, not the subject, to
thread messages.  If a subject has been changed(such as I did with this
message) Mutt still threads the message appropriately.  On the other hand if
someone posts a new message with an identical subject or replies to a digest
and changes the subject appropriately Mutt threads those kind of
replies/posts separately.  In the case of a new message with an
identical/siumilar subject that's probably a good thing.  People replying to
digests can really smeg up theading.  This is especially true if one replies
to several different e-mails from the same digest.  Since they're all a
reply to the same message(the digest) they all get threaded together.  I
generally overlook replies to digests.  Overall I prefer Mutt's threading
techniques.

> Anyway, someone else pointed out that you can always set things up so you
> can ssh into some location (e.g. your home computer) and run a
> full-featured text-based MUA like mutt. With a little setup, this might
> actually be faster than using a web MUA anyway.

That's the kind of setup I've been using for years.  It has served me well.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX