Re: Ubuntu to Debian Installation

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:50:55AM -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Stef Daniels VK5HSX wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> >       I have got several Debian installations, however, my desktop
> > machine has Ubuntu 6.06 installed. What I wish to know is if there is an
> > easy way to change installations (without actually going through the
> > install) by changing the repositories and doing
> >
> > #apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > as I know that apt has "Super Cow Powers" 8-)
> >
> > Is it wise to do it this way?
> > Has someone else done this?
> > Any tips, tricks to doing it?
> >

> It should be fixable though.  Any time there is a problem you can
> --reinstall all related packages.  I guess if you really wanted to play
> it safe, you could --reinstall everything--synaptic should make it easy
> to do that.  There may be other little things to watch out for, e.g.
> when I installed the Ubuntu kernel, it didn't automatically update grub,
> so I had to run dpkg-reconfigure on my regular kernel.
>
> Angelo

Change the repositories list in /etc/apt/sources.list - if need be,
just # out the lines for Ubuntu.

Use command line apt to see the scale of changes: apt-get update ;
apt-get dist-upgrade but DON'T blindly hit yes :)

If there are say 250 packages to change over (and assuming there
are no major downgrades where Ubuntu version numbers lead Debian):

Update apt, aptitude, synaptic - use apt-get install apt, synaptic,
aptitude

Update the kernel, initramfs tools

Update perl and other base system packages

Update X

So take it in small groups of packages: if you go to install 5 and
suggests/recommends another 5 do 10 - but try not to do 500 at once.

Iterations through apt-get should work.

If you do the apt-get update / dist-upgrade - let us know how many
packages needed to change. I'd certainly be interested.

AndyC