Re: Ubuntu to Debian Installation

Stef Daniels VK5HSX wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>       I have got several Debian installations, however, my desktop
> machine has Ubuntu 6.06 installed. What I wish to know is if there is an
> easy way to change installations (without actually going through the
> install) by changing the repositories and doing
>
> #apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> as I know that apt has "Super Cow Powers" 8-)
>
> Is it wise to do it this way?
> Has someone else done this?
> Any tips, tricks to doing it?

I'm currently running an Ubuntu-made kernel on Debian without any
trouble.  Some people even set up both as repositories on the same
system ;)  Where you run into problems is with versions and
dependencies:  certain software looks for a certain version in its
dependencies, and both systems have packages with their own custom
version numbers.

It should be fixable though.  Any time there is a problem you can
--reinstall all related packages.  I guess if you really wanted to play
it safe, you could --reinstall everything--synaptic should make it easy
to do that.  There may be other little things to watch out for, e.g.
when I installed the Ubuntu kernel, it didn't automatically update grub,
so I had to run dpkg-reconfigure on my regular kernel.

Angelo