problem with netinstall of AMD64 Etch.....

Dear Debianists,

I bought a new AMD64 3200 Sempron box. I put a DVD rewriter and an ATA drive in it. I fired it up and it read in the net install CD for Debian Etch AMD64 Official Snapshot (Ithink that's the AMD testing RC1 image).

It seemed to go OK. The network autoconfiguration succeeded which I interpret to mean it found the internet connection to the NTL cable broadband service I use.....

I partitioned the disk and installed the base system.

But at the package installer bit it starts to look for ftp sites to download files for the network install....

I chose the UK options and went in all of the uk site choices but it kept telling me that the network connection was bad.

It said that this either meant that there was no appropriate AMD64 install image or the site or network connection was down etc....

In the end I just did the rest of the base install..... I also could not get the security updates.

I finished the minimal install and then I hooked up my old box. When I fired it up (Etch RC1 bog standard i386 install) it said the internet connection was wired but when I fired up Iceweasel it could not see google....

This usually means something is wrong with the internet link.

So I rebooted the cable box and then I rebooted the i386 box.

Now the internet link is OK.

My question is this:

If I want to go back to the new AMD64 box and try to get the net install to work, what is the best way forward?

When I log in I will just get the command line interface. What can I do to check that the new box is seeing the internet connection properly and what can I then do to get the machine to download the rest of the AMD64 install from the internet?

The apt sources.lst file just has the Etch netinstall disk in it at the moment,

If I can't get it to work then I will download DVD images of the AMD64 release and install with them instead.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Get Hotmail, News, Sport and Entertainment from MSN on your mobile. http://www.msn.txt4content.com/