Re: Installation of Debian by disk

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 06:47:43AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:28:03PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:14:21PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > > Hi Roberto,
> > > I have seen various 3rd party bits of documentation about "You just
> > > installed Debian. Here's what to do next and answers to questions like
> > > 'where's my X?". And it seems people still miss this info on the Debian
> > > site. Asking what they read prior to asking such questions would be one
> > > way to figure out how Debian is not getting this info to new users. Thus
> > > far, Debian and the WWW group are very hesitant to change any aspect of
> > > the 'front page' until a very good reason is provided, which is expected
> > > for any Debian effort. But it seems if this person and others went to
> > > the 'front page' and just could not (for what ever reason) find this
> > > info, then there should be something added to the 'front page' to have
> > > somekind of big 'over here' sign for Debian new users to find these
> > > common questions addressed. Hopefully one day I can get something
> > > written up. But in the meanwhile, I think asking what the read prior to
> > > comming here is one way to collect data to address this issue.
> >
> > Hmm.  You did not mention which version, so I will assum you installed
> > Etch.  Now, if you got the etch installer, I will guess that you got it
> > from here:  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> >
> > Below the download links are links to the Installation Guide, the FAQ
> > and the Debian-Installer Wiki.  If you visit the installation guide, you
> > will see this section:
> >
> > http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06s03.html#di-install-software
> >
> > Specifically, the relevant section, Installing Additional Software,
> > reads in part:
> >
> >     So, you have the ability to choose tasks first, and then add on more
> >     individual packages later. These tasks loosely represent a number of
> >     different jobs or things you want to do with your computer, such as
> >     Desktop environment, Web server, or Print server[14]. Section D.2,
> >     Disk Space Needed for Tasks lists the space requirements for the
> >     available tasks.
> >
> > Now, I understand that for a newbie, it can be daunting to be left at a
> > command line prompt.  However, it is right there in the documentation.
> > So, perhaps you missed it?
> >
> > I am not trying to flame you.  I am simply pointing out that the
> > information is there and that it appears that you overlooked it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >
> > --
> > Roberto C. Sanchez
> > http://people.connexer.com/~roberto
> > http://www.connexer.com
>
> Debian suffers from lack of exposure in the popular press. Most major
> newspapers carry a frequent column of answers to questions about PCs,
> which means exclusively Windows in the popular press. There is
> a lot of overlap in the word set used in these articles and the word
> [...]
I know this is way OT, but with regards to your comment, some 40 yrs ago when
I was in high school, I needed to take Algebra. I was lost. I got 3 F's and
dropped out. The next year, with a different instructor who drew diagrams on
the chalkboard, I got straight A's. The teacher would take attendance, give
work assignments and leave the class. He let me be in charge.
The presentation can make a difference :)

--
"Estimated amount of glucose used by an adult human brain each day, expressed
in M&Ms: 250"

  - Harper's Index