Re: Installation of Debian by disk

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:14:21PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
> I have seen various 3rd party bits of documentation about "You just
> installed Debian. Here's what to do next and answers to questions like
> 'where's my X?". And it seems people still miss this info on the Debian
> site. Asking what they read prior to asking such questions would be one
> way to figure out how Debian is not getting this info to new users. Thus
> far, Debian and the WWW group are very hesitant to change any aspect of
> the 'front page' until a very good reason is provided, which is expected
> for any Debian effort. But it seems if this person and others went to
> the 'front page' and just could not (for what ever reason) find this
> info, then there should be something added to the 'front page' to have
> somekind of big 'over here' sign for Debian new users to find these
> common questions addressed. Hopefully one day I can get something
> written up. But in the meanwhile, I think asking what the read prior to
> comming here is one way to collect data to address this issue.

Hmm.  You did not mention which version, so I will assum you installed
Etch.  Now, if you got the etch installer, I will guess that you got it
from here:  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Below the download links are links to the Installation Guide, the FAQ
and the Debian-Installer Wiki.  If you visit the installation guide, you
will see this section:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06s03.html#di-install-software

Specifically, the relevant section, Installing Additional Software,
reads in part:

    So, you have the ability to choose tasks first, and then add on more
    individual packages later. These tasks loosely represent a number of
    different jobs or things you want to do with your computer, such as
    Desktop environment, Web server, or Print server[14]. Section D.2,
    Disk Space Needed for Tasks lists the space requirements for the
    available tasks.

Now, I understand that for a newbie, it can be daunting to be left at a
command line prompt.  However, it is right there in the documentation.
So, perhaps you missed it?

I am not trying to flame you.  I am simply pointing out that the
information is there and that it appears that you overlooked it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez