Re: top post fixer?

Steve Lamb wrote:
John C wrote:
It's kinda like a religious fanaticism... "everyone should act and
believe like I do". And yes, you're absolutely right - there is too much
bile being spewed at top posters.

    No, it's not.  It's called a convention for communicating with one
another.  Do you call it religious fanaticism that everyone is taught the
language of the location they were born?  I certainly don't, I called it an
education.  Simply put top-posting marks the poster as uneducated in how to
communicate online, period.

Wow! and you don't think that's fanaticism?? :-)

<cut>

I'll just cut out the "so-called" facts over which you and I will never agree. (I've heard them all before-thank you) Let's just say that I never use a computer in a pitch black room, it's always well lighted.

<snip>

The point of this discussion is that users are being turned off by the insistence that they should only post in the manner that the "educated" think they should - "bottom posting only please."

There are valid reason to correct posters that use html, long lines, attachments, etc. All are violations of the code of conduct for the Debian mailing lists - Top posting is not.

Correcting someone who happens to top-post on this list is nothing other than imposing the personal preference of the individual doing the correcting.

If it's the will of all of us, put in the the code of conduct. Until then let's just drop the subject and quit correcting users, it's getting dangerously close to the definition of a flame war :-)

<break> <break>

Kind of related.

My apologies to Francis and Paul for accidentally "CC"ing them on my earlier posting - that *is* a violation of the code of conduct.

John