Re: NTP dynamic servers?

Jacques Normand wrote:
I'm running debian/unstable on my laptop and often the LAN/WLAN is not connected (yet)
when the system is starting up - including NTPD.

NTPD then seems to discard all unreachable server entries and ends up with no peers left. In some googled doc I found the ntp.conf option "dynamic" to tell it that some peers may become available later on, but the debian ntpd doesnt't seem to understand it - or I don't know how to use it correctly.

What is the best way to configure the ntpd in such an environment ?

How about calling the init.d script from /etc/network/interfaces?

I mean, there is little need for having the deamon running while
offline and providing that your clock does not drift too much, that
should do it.
That is hard to configure reliable because of stuff like openvpn that also needs a varying timespan to settle etc.. So I would really like to know a way to tell ntpd to not give up on a server entry if it is not reachable/resolvable on the first try:

Jan 23 21:06:27 europa ntpd_initres[5255]: host name not found: 0.debian.pool.ntp.org │ Jan 23 21:06:27 europa ntpd_initres[5255]: couldn't resolve `0.debian.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it │

Bruno