Re: help me reset cylinder information

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:03:58PM -0700, Basil Beltran wrote:
> greetings
>
> In my recent noob past, due to a flubbed windows-linux install, I messed
> with the cylinders of my new and trashed disk with some linux command I now
> forget.   (on the advise of another forum I probably should not have been
> reading)
>
> Anyhow, today...qparted correctly sees a 6L300R0 (300G Maxtor DiamondMax) as
> having about 300G
> BUT text on its resize graphic indicates that *some* part of the system sees
> the partition as about 40Mg.

what do the other partition editors report? (cfdisk, sdisk etc)

> A subsequent install attempt (from Auditor LiveCD) hangs about halfway
> through "copying files." How can I get this drive into a usable state? I
> *think* I need to fix some info stored on the drive but dont know how or
> exactly what that information (# cylinders?) would be.
> BTW: dmesg shows the drive originally identified as "6E040L0" (a Maxtor 40G
> drive)

does this install from Auditor include a disk partitioning step, and
if so, what happens during that step?

you could always trash the whole boot-sector/partition table with a

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd?? bs=512 count=1

I think that would work, but beware that whatever data is on the disk
would effectively be gone.

oh. how old is the bios? is it possible the bios is messing with the
whole thing?

.02