help me reset cylinder information

greetings

In my recent noob past, due to a flubbed windows-linux install, I messed with the cylinders of my new and trashed disk with some linux command I now forget.   (on the advise of another forum I probably should not have been reading)

Anyhow, today...qparted correctly sees a 6L300R0 (300G Maxtor DiamondMax) as having about 300G
BUT text on its resize graphic indicates that *some* part of the system sees the partition as about 40Mg.

A subsequent install attempt (from Auditor LiveCD) hangs about halfway through "copying files." How can I get this drive into a usable state? I *think* I need to fix some info stored on the drive but dont know how or exactly what that information (# cylinders?) would be.
BTW: dmesg shows the drive originally identified as "6E040L0" (a Maxtor 40G drive)

Any help or references greatly appreciated.

--
Basil