Re: Doing administrative work

On Monday, 22.01.2007 at 10:39 -0800, Tyler MacDonald wrote:

> Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> wrote:
> > This is actually what is done, yes.
> >
> > And, in addition, the safe is only accessible to restricted
> > individuals.  Having said that, none of the restricted individuals
> > (apart from me) would know what to do with the root password anyway
> >
> > All a matter of risk assessment, really.
>
> I'm coming into this conversation late, so this may have already been
> covered...
>
> Have you put a password on your bootloader (GRUB, etc) to restrict
> changing the boot parameters?
>
> Otherwise, you can simply edit the boot parameters, and add something
> like "S init=/bin/bash" to the end to drop yourself right into a root
> shell on boot.

Password-protecting the bootloader is sensible if the system in question
is in a public area, or likely to be accessible to many people.
However, the servers are in locked rooms with very limited access.  It
only introduces a hassle to password-protect the bootloader
unnecessarily.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!