Re: Doing administrative work

On Monday, 22.01.2007 at 09:31 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> You might be trustworthy not to walk away from a logged-in console and
> not install stupid stuff, but is he?

Well, the console is in a locked-room and only available to a small
number of people.  In the event of my untimely demise, I believe this
would be a minor issue ;-)

> > The procedure is: the nominated deputy can retrieve the root
> > passwords from the safe and login via the console :-)
>
> Also, did you date and sign your name on top of the adhesive seam
> (and, it couldn't hurt, then tape over your signature) from the
> envelope that the root password is in?
>
> That will ensure that no one can sneak a peak at the root password and
> cleverly reseal the envelope.

This is actually what is done, yes.

And, in addition, the safe is only accessible to restricted individuals.
Having said that, none of the restricted individuals (apart from me)
would know what to do with the root password anyway ...

All a matter of risk assessment, really.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org