zombies when running swatch via start-stop-daemon --chuid

Under etch I'm using start-stop-daemon to start the swatch log
monitoring utility in an /etc/init.d script.  This is working, but
each instance of swatch (I'm starting multiple -- one instance per
monitored log) creates a zombie process the first time it logs
something.  I'm using the '--chuid' option of start-stop-daemon so
that I can run as a unprivileged user, and if I take that option away
then I don't get the zombies.

In my swatch configuration I'm doing an 'exec' action, so maybe that's
part of the problem.

If the problem is the '--chuid' option, then is there another way I can
get swatch running as a unprivileged user when the system boots?