Re: setting editor options with update-alternatives

Seb  writes:

> I recently changed my default editor program, by using:
> update-alternatives --config editor

> and I selected emacs-snapshot.  However, whenever some program calls
> "editor", I'd like emacs-snapshot to be called with the -nw option, as I
> wouldn't want to be restricted if I'm at a terminal.  I can't find info on
> how to do this in the docs.  I'd appreciate any advice on this.

A possibility is to create a shell script which calls emacs with the
nw flag, e.g.:

#!/bin/sh

emacs -nw

Then put the location of the script instead of the location of emacs
executable in the relevant line of the
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/editor file.

HTH,

--