Re: ifconfig reports weird IP addr

Rick Reynolds ha scritto:

> I've seen this behavior in etch for some time now.  I get an IP
> address via DHCP and then I see this in ifconfig output:
>
> eth-wlan  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:B3:1E:D2:BB
>           inet addr:169.254.214.99  Bcast:169.254.255.255
> Mask:255.255.0.0

< omissis >

> No, that address shown is NOT my IP address.  :)

shure this IS your IP address :))
when a dhcp client doesn't get a valid answer it selfassign an address
like that.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3927.txt
This document describes a method by which a host may automatically
   configure an interface with an IPv4 address in the 169.254/16 prefix
   that is valid for Link-Local communication on that interface.  This
   is especially valuable in environments where no other configuration
   mechanism is available.  The IPv4 prefix 169.254/16 is registered
   with the IANA for this purpose.

Hope this help,
Luigi