kmail SMTP problems

Hello

I try to set up kmail to use SMTP on google mail accounts. I have tried
to do this on my machine here (Debian sarge) as a test and everything
works fine. But (as a Gnus user) I do not need kmail for me, but
try to set it up on another machine which is a Debian sid system.
But whatever I tried I cannot send mail from Kmail there. The mail
just stays in the outgoing mail directory without any error message
being displayed. I couldn't find an error log file either.
I *can* send messages using 'mail' on the command line, but not with
kmail.

How can I find out what the problem might be?

Robert