Re: Purge Hotplug?

On 16 Jan 2007, Francisco Zabala wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> <...snip...>
> >> Seems like udev is handling everything now.  Use dpkg -P hotplug to
> >> purge, though you might get unexpected results on boot. For instance,
> >> I had to modify my hard drives from hda --> sda   because of the
> >> change for hotplug to udev (I guess they use a different naming
> >> scheme).
> >>

> >I'm still using hotplug on my Thinkpad to make the wireless card work.
> >In fact, I'm holding my version of hotplug because when in the past I've
> >upgraded to the version in Unstable it has not worked.  I did once
> >fiddle with udev but retired defeated.
> <...snip...>
>
> For the wireless card you could try ndiswrapper in Etch.  I have 3
> different cards and they all work with "ndiswrapping" their respective
> windows drivers (if interested do a google on ndiswrapper and go to
> the wiki, or feel free to email me directly for instructions on this
> program)
>
> Cheers

Thanks; my Cisco Aironet works well with hotplug in the version I'm
using so I don't think it's necessary to change things (quit while
you're ahead is a good maxim here, I think). But I may need to look into
ndiswrapper when I get a Thinkpad T60, which I'm planning to do
shortly so I may take up your kind offer then if I run into problems.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian