Re: small form factor recommendations

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 03:09:07AM +0000, Nick Boyce wrote:
Erm .. I hate to be a gloom merchant, and maybe you already know this
and have determined this particular mobo is immune, but ... there are
comments at both the MythTV and IVTV sites claiming that Linux-based
video processing systems often have problems with mobos with Via
chipsets ... something to do with poor DMA circuitry.

See:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Via_motherboard_problems
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html
(Look for the second occurrence of "via" on this MythTV page)

The IVTV page does say the problems were noted with "older Via
motherboards", so hopefully your SP-13000 escapes this.  I can't make
out whether you're actually doing video processing from the
USB-connected cameras you mention, but I guess you must at least be
frame-grabbing.  Sorry I didn't see your original post in time.

not an issue for me, though maybe for the GP, so take note, whoever
you are. For my purposes, 1) not using ivtv and frankly putting
real capture cards would probably be to much for these little mobo's
-- now using it for a mythtv front-end that would be sweet (it comes
with s-video out and ac-3 onboard sound) 2)I'm doing frame grabbing,
but its through usb-webcams and gspca driver and motion -- seems to
have a pretty short chain and I don't think it does more than encode
with ffmpeg. I don't think it even transcodes as the resolution is set
in the camera itself through the gspca drivers. at least that's how I
understand it.
I'll check out those links and keep the problem in mind when I actually get around to buying any hardware. So far, my finances are keeping me in the planning stages.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com