Re: small form factor recommendations

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I finally settled on building my own box (who wouldn't?) using a Via
> Epia SP-13000 mobo with .5G ram and an old 2.2G laptop HD I had lying
> around (no local storage, all video will be saved on a server, so just
> need a boot and basic software, no X). I put it all in a nice little
> iStar S3 Storm Series box.
>
> Okay, this is a sweet little mobo with good linux support, all VIA
> chips.

Erm .. I hate to be a gloom merchant, and maybe you already know this
and have determined this particular mobo is immune, but ... there are
comments at both the MythTV and IVTV sites claiming that Linux-based
video processing systems often have problems with mobos with Via
chipsets ... something to do with poor DMA circuitry.

See:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Via_motherboard_problems
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html
(Look for the second occurrence of "via" on this MythTV page)

The IVTV page does say the problems were noted with "older Via
motherboards", so hopefully your SP-13000 escapes this.  I can't make
out whether you're actually doing video processing from the
USB-connected cameras you mention, but I guess you must at least be
frame-grabbing.  Sorry I didn't see your original post in time.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce