Broadcom wifi card needs reboot to set essid

Hi, my laptop has a Broadcom BCM4318 802.11g wireless card, and I've
been using ndiswrapper with the bcmwl5 driver for over a year now.
The problem is if I boot up with the wrong or no essid set in
/etc/network/interfaces, I can't re-set the essid on the card.  I have
to change the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces and then
reboot, sometimes 2-3 times, to get it to change to the new essid so I
can connect to the wireless network.

I've upgraded to the latest versions in etch, and the problem
persists.  Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.