Re: Broadcom wifi card needs reboot to set essid

On 1/16/07, Jason Dunsmore <jasondunsmore@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, my laptop has a Broadcom BCM4318 802.11g wireless card, and I've
been using ndiswrapper with the bcmwl5 driver for over a year now.
The problem is if I boot up with the wrong or no essid set in
/etc/network/interfaces, I can't re-set the essid on the card.  I have
to change the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces and then
reboot, sometimes 2-3 times, to get it to change to the new essid so I
can connect to the wireless network.

I've upgraded to the latest versions in etch, and the problem
persists.  Any idea what's wrong?
Did you try :
# /etc/init.d/networking restart
that restarts all networks. Even ndiswrapper.

# modprobe -r ndiswrapper
And
# modprobe ndiswrapper
will also restart the broadcom network card.

Though to set the essid, you can use the iwconfig.
I have broadcom 4318 on ndiswrapper on Debian Etch and iwconfig works just fine.
If you got KDE (or any onther GUI for that matter), you can install
wifi-radar and connect to wifi networks quite easily with that.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.