My two boxes will not talk to each other

I have a P4 desktop, on which is Sarge installed, host name SOL; and a P2 laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8000), host name LAP, on which yesterday I successfully installed Etch RC1. Both can communicate with the outside world through a gateway and both can communicate with the printer through the print server. I cannot however get them to communicate with each other.

I am trying to use the host names to identify each box to the other. I set SOL up as the server, but when I start nfs-kernel-server, it returns: "exportfs: LAP has no inet address." LAP is the client, but when I try to mount on it the directory I want to export from SOL, the mount command returns "mount: can't get address for SOL."

I assume that neither computer can resolve the host name of the other. Running cat /etc/hosts on SOL returns the following:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       SOL

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Running the same command on LAP returns the following:

127.0.1.1	localhost
127.0.0.1	LAP.localhost	LAP

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Have I given enough information to indicate what is wrong? Can anybody advise me what to do to put these two boxes on friendly terms with each other?

				Ken Heard
				Toronto, Canada