Re: My two boxes will not talk to each other

On 1/16/07, Ken Heard <ken@heard.name> wrote:
I have a P4 desktop, on which is Sarge installed, host name SOL; and a
P2 laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8000), host name LAP, on which yesterday I
successfully installed Etch RC1.  Both can communicate with the outside
world through a gateway and both can communicate with the printer
through the print server.  I cannot however get them to communicate with
each other.

I am trying to use the host names to identify each box to the other.  I
set SOL up as the server, but when I start nfs-kernel-server, it
returns: "exportfs: LAP has no inet address."  LAP is the client, but
when I try to mount on it the directory I want to export from SOL, the
mount command returns "mount: can't get address for SOL."

I assume that neither computer can resolve the host name of the other.

Give each a fixed address (i.e. don't have them get it through DHCP) and then put both in each /etc/hosts file.  Eg:

192.168.1.10        SOL
192.168.1.11        LAP

I think that should do it.  It works for me anyway!

Patrick