Server recommendations?

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 23:05 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:
> I'm looking for server hardware with the following contraints: dual or

> quad core 64-bit CPU at >2.5 GHz and more than 16 GB of RAM. And of
> course it should run Debian GNU/Linux without problems. Everything
> else is not that important.
>
> Anything people can recommend?

I just built one of these from SuperMicro:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/3U/6035/SYS-6035B-8R.cfm

With 2Gb memory, a single Xeon 5140 (only 2.33 GHz), and 2 10K 147Gb
SCSI Drives, the system was ~$3300.

Etch installed without any hiccups very nicely.  In fact, easier than I
expected.  Sarge, however, didn't like the NIC's, which is why I
installed Etch.

This is a fairly noisey surver, with the 6 fans blowing pretty hard.
I'm not sure if there's any driver support to throttle those fans down a
bit, and quiet the thing down.  I doubt I need all 6 fans blowing at
Mach LOUD with just the one processor.  I may just pull the fans that
seem to be for Processor #2 and see how much that quiets it down.

Not to plug a vendor, but you can get everything you need for this
SuperMicro server at NewEgg.com

Steve Belt