Re: Server recommendations?

> I'm looking for server hardware with the following contraints: dual or
> quad core 64-bit CPU at >2.5 GHz and more than 16 GB of RAM. And of
> course it should run Debian GNU/Linux without problems. Everything else
> is not that important.
>
> Anything people can recommend?

Dell PowerEdge 1950 can have up to 2 quad-core Xeons, for 8 cores total.
Supports up to 32 GB.  Mind you, 16 GB costs about $3000, whereas 32 GB
costs $20,000!  Just for the memory.  These are Dell prices, I'm sure you
can find cheaper memory.

Configured with 2 dual-core Xeons at 3.0 GHz and 16 GB of RAM, two 150 GB
SAS hard drives configured in RAID, costs about $8400.

Configured with 2 quad-core Xeons at 2.66 GHz and 32 GB or RAM, everything
else the same, costs about $30,000.

-- Kevin