Re: perl: how to suppress system()'s output or quiet down `tar`

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 01:07:28PM +0100, LeVA wrote:
> Hi!
>
> From a perl script I call 'tar' with system(). But with every system()
> call I get the output from tar to my console: "tar: Removing leading /
> from absolute path names in the archive" and it messes up my perl
> script's output. I understand why tar is saying this, but I can not use
> the -P switch, because I need tar to remove the leading '/'s, and there
> is no "quiet" switch to tar. Is there a solution? Can I quiet down tar,
> or suppress system()'s output?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Daniel,
Think UNIX! if system() is the equivelant of running a command at the
command line, the use redirection.
tar .... 2> /dev/null
Cheers,
Kev
| : :' :      The  Universal     |   'under construction'   |
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org     |