perl: how to suppress system()'s output or quiet down `tar`

Hi!

From a perl script I call 'tar' with system(). But with every system()
call I get the output from tar to my console: "tar: Removing leading /
from absolute path names in the archive" and it messes up my perl
script's output. I understand why tar is saying this, but I can not use
the -P switch, because I need tar to remove the leading '/'s, and there
is no "quiet" switch to tar. Is there a solution? Can I quiet down tar,
or suppress system()'s output?

Thanks!

Daniel

--