Re: getting xorg working on an old box .....

Hi all again.

Why install 'vesa' when you can install your card's driver? 'vesa' is
not the best choice, unless you got problems your card. My way you get
all the drivers.

Install VESA driver..why?

Well, i tell you my experience:
i've  worked a lot with old pc (pentium 133 mhz, MMX 200, pentium 3 500 etc etc) with low memory (min 40 mb ram - max 256 mb ram), with various video card:
S3, Trident, Cirrus...

I've tried hard to obtain a functional  X (xorg) environment.
But, loading correct video-driver module (xorg-trident for trident video card, xorg-cirrus for cirrus video card, xorg-s3/xorg-s3virge for s3 video card...), the better result was to see a graphical environment with 640x480 (!!!!) resolution, when those "old" pc with a Win95 OS had a resolution up to 1024x768.

For me it's ok, i work well with shell.
But those "old" pc were not for me, and need a graphical environment, with good resolution.

So i've tried the "universal old video card driver" : VESA.
Only VESA.
And xorg start to work very well. Resolution up to 1024x768.

So, if your video card is "old", pls try VESA driver, forcing the use of this driver in xorg.conf.
I assure you  will see the difference.

Hope my experience helps you.
Regards!