Re: getting xorg working on an old box .....

Michael Fothergill napisał(a):

I use gdm as the login window. I have never actually seen the window of course because xorg hasn't worked correctly yet. But gdm did try to fire up. However at the terminal prompt after interrupting a failed xorg session I typed in startx.

Hi gdm and kdm are both "resource consumeing" so i recomend using xdm or just startx command on an old machine. Especially when You're short on RAM. After running the window manager the ?dm's don't do nothing more than stay in the memory till You finish Your xsession. xdm is the smallest of the three.