Re: getting xorg working on an old box .....

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:24:30 -0500
macondo <ironwindow2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your main problem is the configuration of xserver-xorg but you don't
> offer any of the errors that you should be getting (EE)

Actually he did in the first post.

> Get rid of gdm and do not install any dm, it's a waste of resources,
> a user with an old box cannot afford, use startx.
>
> # dpkg -P gdm

dpkg? why not 'apt-get --purge gdm'?

> As for your xorg problems, install the following packages:
>
> xserver-xorg-core
> xserver-xorg-input-all
> xserver-xorg-video-all

Why the -all packages? xserver-xorg-input-kbd and
xserver-xorg-input-mouse should be enough for the input part and for
video the xserver-xorg-video-vesa (to try Mirco Piccin's suggestion)
and the coresponding driver for his video card.

> Install icewm or fluxbox, or whatever you fancy, forget about Gnome
> or KDE, not with that kind of box.
>
> Edit your .xinitrc:
>
> $ nano .xinitrc (it will be blank)
>
> and leave it looking like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> numlockx &
> icewm

You don't need to have a .xinitrc (I don't). startx will use
x-window-manager (or x-session-manager) which can be configured with
update-alternatives. If icewm is the only wm than it will be that one
anyway.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)